Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I could have been a contender!


Bummer, they cut me, I’m off the team.  It was a blast while it lasted though.  Imagine, on the same 4x100 free relay with Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte and Nathan Adrian!  I thought it was a long shot, a good joke really, but no, I got to be part of the team and practice with these guys in Colorado Springs for almost a week before I got the word, you’re out.

It all started on a whim; I sent to the powers that be a photo of a CTS scoreboard with my name on it and my time for the 100, 48”60.  I guess they were real impressed because they sent me an email, backed by a written invitation via Fedex, to come up.  Sure, I looked older - actually I could have been the grandfather of any of my team mates - and as muscular as Popeye before he gulps down his spinach, but hey, 48”60!

I did explain that I needed to use flippers for kicking sets because it helped build up lactic acid faster and therefore was more challenging;  I also avoided racing sets because of a tender rotator cuff.  I got some strange looks, but in the end, they let me do my stuff.  The food was great, I really liked my Ralph Lauren USA sweatsuit, and being with the guys was a blast.

I guess the fun could have gone on for a while longer had we not been dragged to a charity event to race a strong local team of Boys 10 and Under, and lost.  Michael stormed out of the pool, Ryan had a good laugh and Adrian’s eyes rolled back into their sockets.  The coaches were not amused and got real unpleasant: 

-          “What the heck were you doing out there, looking for clams!  And what’s your name again?”

-          “Euh, well …. I can explain but no need to blow a fuse …”

So I did explain; the CTS photo was real enough, except that I had photoshopped it a bit; you see, the actual time was 1’08”46, and no, it wasn’t a long course meter time but a short course yard one.  Anyway, there were pissed and I thought it was unfair because they were all of a sudden nitpicking everything when they had welcome me as one of the boys, as a real contender.

That’s why I do feel great sympathy for the Greeks, I mean, they photoshopped some stats and reports and the like, but it was all in good fun and the Europeans should have realized it from the start, and now the poor Greeks are the butt of unseemly sarcasm and threats of expulsion.  Christine Lagarde of the IMF is even demanding that they pay their taxes!

But you know, there is life after the Eurozone just like there is after Colorado Springs.  Greece is no more competitive within the EU than I was in the pool.  When you “restructure” your privately held sovereign debt and your creditors take an 81%[1] loss, and you still can’t carry your remaining debt, you don’t really belong in the same club as the AA and AAA rated members.  More importantly, you need a break, a devaluation, to adjust your costs, otherwise, you starve yourself to death and/or you have a revolution on your hands.  During the Asian crisis, the Russian ruble devalued 333%, from 6 to 26 to the dollar, making exports of goods very competitive, and while inflation shot up in the fourth quarter of 1998 and the first quarter of 1999, it then slowed down considerably.

While Greece should exit the Eurozone, it doesn’t need to leave the European Union.  Some may argue that Greece should stay within the Eurozone and carry out the reforms needed to regain competitiveness.  The problem is that these reforms, politically and socially, would take years to be implemented (more time than financial markets would allow), and success would not be assured.  Even then, given its demography, economic structure and size, Greece can’t rely solely on cost cuts to be competitive with the likes of Germany, Holland and France; so it still needs a one-time large devaluation to close the gap, and perhaps a continuing one to stay within range.  Either way, it would be a hard slog, and it may be that Greece chooses to follow a different path, of less stress and slower growth.

A good relay must be made up of swimmers of comparable caliber who also get along well together.  The same goes for a political and economic federation of countries.  People point out to the example of the USA at the end of the 18th century as a possible model for the Eurozone.  I would say that the (voting) Americans of that time had more much more in common than the EU today:  they were Anglo-Saxon, spoke English and had left Europe to found a new country common values.  The Europeans of today are far more diverse, don’t speak the same language and don’t (yet) want to be governed by bureaucrats from Brussels.

Perhaps a smaller eurozone will survive, with the necessary fiscal and political integration. This may not be the best outcome, as it may not respond to popular aspirations and would codify a two or three-speed EU.  A better solution may be a Europe of Nations, as envisaged by de Gaulle back in the 1960s, but one accepting enough fiscal and monetary coordination so as to facilitate a system of floating currencies whose exchange rates will be confined to a wide band that will accommodate some differences in policies and economic cycles; an improved “snake in the tunnel” of the 1970s if you wish (it is interesting to note that, in the end, only Germany, the Benelux and Denmark stayed in the tunnel).

Step up …get set …



[1]  It was estimated at 75% initially, but since then, Greek yields have skyrocketed.

No comments:

Post a Comment