Friday, April 24, 2015

Petrobras: out of the ICU, not having a real good time yet

Petrobras finally released its audited 4Q and full year 2014 financial statements yesterday.  Today, it held its conference call with analysts.  In more ways than one, the company is out of the ICU, but a long way from regaining its form of the mid 2000s.

New CEO Aldemir Bendine and his team can take credit for avoiding the brick wall.  Like Freddie Mercury of his favorite rock band Queen, he surely pleads, with his controlling shareholder, the Brazilian State: “Don’t stop me now!”  Would President Dilma Rousseff be more receptive if he wore white denim jeans, a wife-beater and Addidas track shoes?  We’ll never know.

Tonight im gonna have myself a real good time
I feel alive and the world it’s turning inside out Yeah!
I’m floating around in ecstasy
So don’t stop me now don’t stop me now
‘Cause I’m having a good time having a good time
 
As I expected in my two previous posts[1], the company booked a small “corruption” charge based on the 3% bribes skimmed off a variety of contracts and a large impairment charge.  I thought that the former would be north of R$4 billion and the latter a maximum of R$61 billion.  The final, audited numbers, were R$6.2 billion and R$44.6b billion respectively.

The direct and indirect cost of corruption was probably higher than the R$6.2 billion number because 70% of the impairment was due to massive cost overruns at the Comperj and Abreu e Lima refineries, and it is hard to explain that away by blaming sheer incompetence alone.  But the official version looks better and doesn’t change the company fundamentals[2].

Another decision of the incoming management which I expected was cutting dividends for the time being.

I’m a shooting star leaping through the skies
Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity
I’m a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva
I’m gonna go go go
There’s no stopping me

I also feel comforted in my belief that the choice of a financially savvy top management, rather than a technical one, was the correct choice.  For now and the next few years, the key challenges are financial.  This is clear when one considers the following:

-In 2014 the company generated gross cash flows from operations of US$27 billion yet spent US$35 billion in capex, paid US$6 billion in interest, US$4 billion in dividends, US$10 billion in debt maturities and raised US$31 billion in new financing;

-Last year its gross debts rose to US$132 billion as a result of net new borrowings and the weakening of the real (80% of the debts are denominated in foreign currencies).  Given that the real has devalued another 12% since year-end, the financial pressure has risen even further;

-The company has debt maturities ranging between US$16 billion and US$27 billion in each of the next four years.

I’m burning through the sky yeah!
Two hundred degrees
That’s why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
I’m trav’ling at the speed of light
I wanna make a supersonic man out of you

 Solving these problems will call on the obvious financial skills of management, but also on the cooperation of Petrobras’ controlling shareholder, especially if it is mostly passive.  There is clear progress on those fronts:

-The company was facing a financing gap of US$13 billion this year[3], which has already been filled with a combination of Brazilian and Chinese bank loans;

-2015 capex have been cut from US$35 billion in 2014 to US$29 billion (for now);

-A preliminary divestiture program of around US$14 billion over the 2015-2016 is being implemented;

-Mr. Bendine has stated that he has the approval of his government to sell liquids domestically at price parity with international markets;

-New board members from the private sector are expected to join at the end of this month, among them Mr. Murilo Ferreira the CEO of Vale SA who will become chairman of the board;

-Finally there are talks in Congress in Brasilia to bring more flexibility to the minimum content rules and to drop the requirement that Petrobras take a 30% stake in all new pre-salt projects and operate them.

Don’t stop me now
I’m having such a good time
I’m having a ball
Don’t stop me now
If you wanna have a good time
Just give me a call

But shareholders shouldn’t uncork the champagne and sing “We are the champions” just yet (or perhaps ever).

Right now, Brazil is still reeling from the magnitude of the petrolão scandal, and the combination of popular anger, judicial activism and political rivalries will ensure that corruption will be held in check and government meddling will be scrutinized by the press.  Then what?

A recent opinion poll showed that, while angry with the corruption at Petrobras, a majority of Brazilians is against its privatization; if this sentiment can’t be changed, sooner or later the same lethal combination of corruption and incompetence will return.

Finally, one shouldn’t forget that the oil and gas industry is going through a period of low prices which may last longer than expected and cause operational and financial damage.  Depending on what management is willing and allowed to do, it may find itself in a tight corner again.

Don’t stop me
Don’t stop me
Don’t stop me
Hey hey hey!

Don’t stop me
Don’t stop me
Ooh ooh ooh (I like it)
Have a good time, good time

Don’t stop me
Don’t stop me

Ooh ooh alright

In my post of 1/29/15, I disclosed that I had bought some shares (PBR).  The price was then US$6.40 and I thought that it had the potential to at least double.  Since then, I bought some more and haven’t changed my views.  Its closing price today is US$9.40.

In my post of 2/6/15 I suggested that Petrobras wouldn’t be privatized[4], losing the opportunity to emulate Total of France but also avoiding the ghastly fate of PDVSA.  If I am right, Petrobras is a two to three year trade. If I am wrong and it is privatized ... 

Don’t stop me now (‘cause I’m having a good time)
Don’t stop me now (‘cause I’m having a good time)
I don’t wanna stop at all




[1]   Of 1/29/15 and 2/6/15.
[2]   Besides, digging deep into the cost overruns would have taken much longer, delaying the publication of the audited financials for no greater benefit to the company.
[3]   Based on the following reasonable assumptions:  US$60/bbl, 2.8mm boe/d production and R$3.10/US$.
[4]   As Vale was for example, where a majority of voting shares is in the hands of private investors.

No comments:

Post a Comment